Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Abstract Fall Decor



I just finished up my art project for the week. I was asked to design a 'fall themed' centerpiece for a Salad Supper Event for the wives of the seminarian husbands.

So, Fall decor = traditional, pumpkins, harvest, colorful leaves etc etc...

Don't get me wrong, I love all that stuff, our apartment has a Autumn vibe for sure.

It's just, well, I love modern/contemporary design and creating something original. So, my centerpiece is a little outside the box- even a little abstract I'd say.

With a few friends of mine the other day, we went to Griffith Park to go 'Branch-Hunting' HA HA, we were quite successful! We gathered up a bunch of the most mangled looking branches we could find, stuffed our trunk, and drove home for the next step!..... Spraypaint!

I have found that if you gather pretty much any kind of tree branch and spray paint it white... INSTANT BIRCH! haha, It's a great little cheat if you don't live where birch trees grow AKA the desert!!

After I was done drowning the branches in white- I took orange spray paint and sprayed only half of each branch. After all the branches were dry I stuck them in a tall cylinder vase. I had already spray painted the pine cones gold that I placed at the bottom of the vase.

All done! I think it's pretty cool. It's definitely not your typical traditional fall decor, but it was fun creating something new!
Once we get to the event tomorrow, I will place orange runners in a "X' over a linen tablecloth. (it's a square table.)

I think I am going to do something similar for Christmas time for our place, but just leave the branches white like birch and fill the bottom of the vase with moss, natural pine cones, and little pine branches. I can't wait!!

I heart decorating.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Woo hoo for branch collecting...It was fun!